MDCC News

Latest news for Maidenhead & District Cycling Club

Monday, September 21, 2009

Pete Weir's Record Breaking Ride In His Own Words

How Pete Weir broke the Club '25' mile TT Record

Having made the 2 and a half hour trip to the HQ in South Wales I was pleased to see that there was very little wind and that it was warming up nicely. The course starts on a quiet B road before joining with dual-carriageway that is used for the remainder of the race. Once you join this road you are greeted with a 2 mile descent into a valley, the road then proceeds along the valley dropping slightly downhill predominantly until you reach the turn. The slight downhill nicely disguised the fact that I was riding into a slight headwind.
After the turn I picked up the tail wind and began the slight drag all the back to the finish. Having no watch on me I had no idea of my time but guessed it was pretty quick and that a new PB was on the cards. Once back to the HQ I was a bit shocked to see my time of 50:35 as I was predicting a 52 or 53 minute ride. I'm very pleased with the ride and it's especially nice to break a club record which has stood for 9 years.It was also good being at the HQ afterwards, there was a really good atmosphere as everyone was waiting to see if the competition record would finally fall. When they wrote Dave McCann's time up there was a big cheer from the crowds present.
I guess my target for next year has to be sub 50 but I think yesterday was a perfect day for it so that may prove to be a bit of a challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home