MDCC News

Latest news for Maidenhead & District Cycling Club

Monday, July 27, 2009

Neil and Richards' L'Etape in their own words

Richard Meaden
I found it very tough. I think I underestimated Ventoux although after tackling Alpe D'huez a couple of years ago I knew I'd struggle. I wanted to try for 'silver' so set off with a 6.50 schedule. I got to Ventoux in 4.58, eight minutes off the pace hoping to leave myself a 2 hr climb but 5 kms in I realised I'd be lucky to hold onto a 2.15 climb.....I was eventually put out of my misery after 2hrs 30 ish and had to dig deep...it wasn't pretty! Anyway, I enjoyed it .....in some weird and twisted way!!

Neil Campbell
The Etape was a great event, really well organised and with a superb atmosphere. Had a great time though I have to say that I found it much tougher than I expected, principally I think because of the heat - it was apparently pushing 40C+ at the foot of the Ventoux!
The ride to the foot was great, covered the 90 miles in about 5 hr 20m, but the climb itself was brutal. Despite having done it in 1h 50m 3 weeks ago, this time it took 2h 40m or so including (I'm not afraid to admit) 20 mins stopping to try and get some food on board and energy back in the legs. Still I did better than the various riders carted off in ambulances - quite disconcerting that! All in all 8h 6m was the official time, beating Chris Boardman by 3 mins...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home